TL;DR for the Weekly Email 10/7/19
60 SECONDS FOR JUSTICE: Quick Things You Can Do Right Now
1. CALL LAPD Chief Michel Moore and tell him to fire Ryan Lee and Martin Robles for the "out-of-policy" murder of #GrecharioMack at 213-486-0150.
2. CANCEL your membership at 24-Hour Fitness and tell everyone you know to cancel in the names of #AlbertRamonDorsey and #DennisToddRogers.
This Week’s BLMLA Actions/Events (10/6-10/13/2019):
· Tuesday, 10/8 9AM – Los Angeles Police Commission Meeting, 100 W. 1st Street DTLA – This week the Police Commission will consider the Department’s report on homelessness. We will continue our declaration with comrades from Los Angeles Community Action Network, that the proper response to homelessness is "housekeys, not handcuffs."
*Please note that the meeting starts promptly at 9:30AM. We will be seated in the public area of the hearing room INSIDE LAPD Headquarters.
· Wednesday, 10/9 4PM – #JackieLaceyMustGo, Hall of (In)Justice, 211 W. Temple DTLA– We are at Week 103 of our #JackieLaceyMustGo protest. Please stand with the families of those killed by police as we move towards our two-year anniversary.
· Saturday, 10/12 11AM-4PM – Close the Camps! – Los Angeles Day of Action to Stop the War on Immigrants, Indigenous People and Refugees, with our comrades at Democratic Socialists of America.
· Sunday, 10/13 7PM – BLMLA General Monthly Meeting at Ward AME Church, 1177 W. 25th Street, Los Angeles – Join us as we talk about the role of the District Attorney and why we have been protesting her for the last two years. All Black folks, non-Black allies, families and youth, elders, new folks, and returning folks are all welcome. This meeting is closed to law enforcement, media, politicians and their staff. Light dinner provided. Donations welcome, but not required.
· This Weekend, #Boycott24 – We continue our weekly protests outside 24-Hour Fitness locations in the names of #DennisToddRogers and #AlbertRamonDorsey. If you’d like to be a part of the picket and member engagement, please email us for details at firstname.lastname@example.org.
*No Torrance City Council Meeting this week.
· The Black Lives Matter Global Network does not endorse political candidates. We do, however, understand the importance of engaging those who are seeking to hold political posts and challenging them to address the issues that matter to us and the masses of Black people. Last week, our Youth Vanguard traveled to Las Vegas to take part of in the March for Our Lives’ Gun Safety Forum for Democratic political candidates. Youth Vanguard co-founder, Thandiwe Abdullah, questioned Kamala Harris about police violence and demilitarization. The mother of #ChristopherDeAndreMitchell and BLMLA organizers also met with the National Political Director for Bernie Sanders about criminal justice reform and the real people behind police violence. We are using the hashtag #WhatMatters2020 and #BlackLivesMatter to continue to push national and local candidates to meaningfully address Black issues.
· At last Tuesday’s Police Commission meeting the Board unanimously accepted a report from LAPD that roughly 500 Angelenos fire complaints of "bias policing" (racial profiling) each year, but none of them are sustained. Essentially, LAPD is asserting that there is not a single legitimate complaint of racism carried out by LAPD in the last six years. After days of controversy around LAPD’s recruitment ads appearing in the alt-right news outlet Breitbart, Chief Moore abandoned his claim that it was a "spoof," instead pleading ignorance and vowing to "investigate." We demand that the investigation come from outside LAPD and that it ask the essential questions, "How far does this go?" and "What damage has been done?"
· BLMLA and allies continue to hold space inside Torrance City Council meeting in the name of #ChristopherDeAndreMitchell.
· On Saturday morning, our crew protested outside the 24-Hour Fitness on Sunset…where #AlbertRamonDorsey was killed. We were joined by students from Cal State LA.
· George Gascon Likely to Challenge Jackie Lacey for DA Seat
· Bogus LAPD Report Used to Hides Police Abuse
· White Dallas Officer Amber Guyger Found Guilty in Murder of #BothamJean
For more, please visit our archive, where you can subscribe to the weekly email.